USF Undergraduate Council - Minutes of April 14, 2003
| UGC Home | Agendas and Minutes | Search |
Present: Glen Besterfield (chair), Deborah Condosta, Terry Engle, Silvia Fiore, Myung Kim, Kathryn Laframboise, J. Brian Moorhead, Sandra Reynolds
Guests: Katharine Cole, Terri Flateby, Silvio Gaggi, Verna Glenn, Bill Hayden, Ippokratis Kantzios, Victor Peppard
The meeting was called to order at 3:38p.m.
- The minutes of March 10, 2003 and March 24, 2003 were approved as submitted.
- Janet Moore was introduced as the new Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies.
- Glen Besterfield was elected to continue as the Chair of the Undergraduate Council.
- The B.S.A.S. degree program has added three new concentrations: Behavioral Health Care, Hospitality Management, and Public Administration.
- New course/curriculum proposals
- B.S. in Biomedical Sciences
The proposal for the B.S. in Biomedical Sciences would take a track from the Interdisciplinary Natural Science degree and creates a separate degree. This degree will use courses that are needed for the professional schools and already exist in the USF curriculum. Following discussion, the B.S. was approved. It will be forwarded to the USF Board of Trustees for final approval.
- Proposal from the colleges of Engineering and Visual and Performing Arts - exception to gen. ed. requirements
The colleges of Engineering and Visual and Performing Arts requested approval for exceptions to the General Education requirements for approximately 80 Engineering students who have an interest in the area of fine arts. These students will be involved in an experimental program funded by the National Science Foundation. The specific request is that these students be permitted to take significantly more fine arts courses and fewer courses from the lists approved for Social Sciences, Historical Perspectives, and ALAMEA. Following discussion, this exception was approved. The designation that will be placed on the student's diploma has yet to be determined.
- Bachelor of Music in Music Education
This degree proposes to reduce the credit hours from the current 152 for the Bachelor of Science to 121 for a B.M. degree. However, graduation with this degree will not provide the qualifications as required by the State Department of Education to enter the job market with certification. Alternative certification will most often be attained while our graduates are teaching with provisional certification. Music Education students will receive the necessary training to be successful music teachers without having to add extra courses to their General Education core. Following discussion, this degree was approved pending the stipulation that MUL 2111 if met by an equivalent course at the community college level will not have to be retaken.
- B.A. in Music Studies Option
The USF School of Music proposes to create an additional baccalaureate degree option (B.A. in Music Studies) within its existing undergraduate offerings. The proposed new B.A. in Music Studies will require students to complete fewer credit hours in music, thus allowing flexibility to pursue elective course work in other fields or even a double major. Following discussion, this course was approved pending the stipulation that Associate of Arts transfer students will be exempted from MUH 2051 and MUL 2111.
- Concentration in Theatre Design
The School of Theatre and Dance offers a BFA in Theatre Design, which is currently coded (TFA). The School of Theatre and Dance are requesting that a concentration in Theatre Design (TAD) be added under the (TFA) coding. Following discussion, this change was approved.
- MUE 3422 Band Material Practicum - substantive
This course is a study of band methods in a laboratory setting appropriate to elementary and secondary school music programs. Following discussion, all changes were approved.
- MUE 3930 Music Education Forum - new course
This course provides discussions and involvement with Music Education professional organizations. Following discussion, this course was approved with stipulations.
- MUE 4311 Music in the Elementary School - substantive
This course is a study of principles, techniques, materials, and activities as they relate to a comprehensive music curriculum in Grades K-6. Following discussion, all changes were approved.
- MUE 4480 Marching Band Techniques - substantive
This course is required of instrumental music education majors. It will provide the student with the needed skills in creating for and teaching the public school marching band. Following discussion, all changes were approved.
- THE 4000x New British Theatre and Drama - new course - TABLED
- MHS 4906 Directed Study - new course
This is a directed study course. Students must have a contract with an instructor. Following discussion, this course was approved.
- MHS 4931 Selected Topics - new course
This course is designed to prepare professionals to work in partnership with families and other professionals in interdisciplinary teams in a variety of settings to meet the individual needs of children with mental health problems and their families. Following discussion, this course was approved pending changes to the syllabus.
- NUR 4813 Educational Role of the Nurse in Healthcare - new course
This course provides the learner with an opportunity to gain knowledge and skills to facilitate the teaching role of the nurse. Following discussion, this course was approved.
- NUR 4645 Substance Abuse Across the Life Span - substantive (gen ed)
This course is an introduction to concepts of substance abuse and theories of addiction. The applicability of theories and concepts to clinical assessment, diagnosis and intervention with client populations across the lifespan is explored. Following discussion, this course was approved.
- SOP 4335 Social Psychology of HIV/AIDS - new course
In this course students study social psychology theory and research while working at an AIDS service organization. They use the research as a framework for understanding, and developing solutions to, problems confronting the organization's staff and clients. Following discussion, this course was approved pending changes to the syllabus.
- Mathematics Education Program - program revision - TABLED
- EEL 4000x Senior Design Project - new course - TABLED
- EEL 4300x Communications Electronics - new course - TABLED
- CLA 2041 Wordpower from Latin and Greek - new course
The major emphasis is on study of Greek and Latin stems (bases), prefixes, and suffixes as a means of building English vocabulary. It includes the examination of Greek and Latin-based terminology, its adoption into English and current usage. Following discussion, this course was approved pending a few minor changes.
- CLA 3501 Women in Antiquity - new course - TABLED
- HUM 3395 Themes in Humanity - new course
This course is a course emphasizing the analysis of primary works in relation to cultural contexts, the integration of secondary sources, and the construction of a written argument. Following discussion, this course was approved.
- LAT 2201 Intermediate Latin II - new course - TABLED
The meeting was adjourned at 5:15 p.m.
| UGC Home | Agendas and Minutes | Search |
Please send any suggestions or comments to:
Office of Undergraduate Studies